Thursday, October 27, 2011

After One Month

It has been just about a month since I walked through the gates at the airport fearful of the next two years of my life. I can honestly say that walking through those gates was probably one of the most intimidating and terrifying experiences. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Looking behind me and seeing the love of my parents and brother standing behind me at the airport evoked emotions that I was not ready for. What the hell am I doing? I honestly thought, well I could turn around right now and everything will be okay. My parents will understand and I’ll find something else. However, my heart didn’t allow it. Honestly, my mind had already run back to my family, but my heart would not allow my feet to turn back.
Thankfully I serve a God that provides. After a month here I know in my heart that this is where God wants me. It has been an incredible journey thus far in teaching and exploration. I’m excited for upcoming trips including white water rafting, hiking volcanoes and swimming under water falls. I have fallen in love with many of my students, and I know this is only the beginning. I have the privilege to play basketball and futsal (indoor soccer) with them every week, which has been a blast. I am the god of basketball even though my skills are just above suck. I have also been practicing the language quite a lot in my free time, so I hope to be fluent here next week, haha, soon hopefully. This week I finally received my awaited motorbike (vespa), which was a huge blessing. I know have the ability to go wherever I want on my own time. I have had recent trips to the local Starbucks to read and write. This has definitely been rewarding to me psychologically. It feels good to finally start feeling settled in here.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment